Friday, July 10, 2009

A Memorable Birthday


Today (July 10) is the 500th anniversary of the birth of John Calvin. The big event today was the highlight of the city of Geneva's Calvin 09 yearlong celebration: the service commemorating Calvin's birth, held at St. Pierre's Cathedral. Political and ecclesiastical dignitaries spoke; three international choirs sang; a dialog sermon was issued between a local Reformed woman pastor (a welcome change) and Setri Nyomi, General Secretary of the World Alliance of Reformed Churches (based in Geneva).

The service, while obviously conflating civic and religious perspectives, was a welcome change from the Calvin 500 conference worship services of the past week. The Korean choir sang a moving version of "O Happy Day," a djembe punctuated the rhythm of various African songs by the Madagascar choir, and an English-language hymn written especially for the occasion was introduced. Throughout the service, a giant, inflated representation of the earth floated in the midst of the giant cathedral, reminding us of the worldwide communion of the church and the worldwide impact of John Calvin.

Now it is clear that the Genevans (among others) have mixed feelings about their most famous
local icon. Much of what was said (about 3/4 in French, the rest in English) seemed to apologize for Calvin as much as to celebrate him. While I thought they overdid the apologies and seemed to bypass Calvin's doctrine of election in favor of a broadly ethical application of "the sovereignty of God" I did not mind it so much having heard a chorus of voices lauding Calvin's doctrine the previous five days.

On a personal note, when I arrived, I inquired if there was a delegation from the PCUSA in attendance. As there was none, I offered myself as the official representative of our denomination. (I checked this out by phone with Gradye Parsons, who said, "Represent away!") This had two specific benefits: I was seated with the "invitees" closer to the action where I could see what was going on (and photograph it discreetly); and I was able to enjoy a reception dinner in the nearby city park (where the wall of the Reformers is located).

While participating in this service was not on my original itinerary, I am glad I did. It seems a fitting celebration on my pilgrimage, which continues on Monday as my pursuit of Calvin yields to the pursuit of Knox in Edinburgh, Scotland. Tomorrow, I take a train to Basel, where Calvin and Farel took refuge before Calvin went to Strasbourg. There is a bonus there: the local museum is hosting a major Van Gogh exhibition. On Sunday, I will try to go to Interlaken and enjoy a sabbath (in my sabbatical) in the Alps.

1 comment:

  1. Way to go, PCUSA representative! As we salesmen say, "You don't get the sale if you don't ask for it!" Reception dinners are a bonus!

    ReplyDelete